12 October 2005

Lunch Time

I like a man who wears loose-yet-tailored jeans with casual, lace up shoes. Not sneakers mind. But those nice brown leather lace up shoes that look so good when slightly covered by jeans. Doesn't matter what kind of shirt they wear...could be a t-shirt, could be a flannel shirt...they always look good. Even if it is a less than good looking man, he'll still look good in a pair of jeans and some nice shoes.

So I've been seeing some alarming tendancies in GW Bush lately. He is rewarding his cronies (read: zealots) with things like Supreme Court appointments. He is pushing for a "Literal Translation" for the Constitution. He is stocking his cabinet (and has been all along) with Yes-Men. Smacks a little of Nazism under Hitler. That annology (yeah I can't spell so sue me) goes back to all this Homeland Security nonsense. I mean, ok, yes I can see that we had more than enough adiquate (once again, I can't spell) proof that we needed to beef up our security on mass transit systems in America. Our own arrogance took the biggest hit on 9/11 when we suddenly discovered that yes, those kind of things in fact CAN happen in America. But when the Patriot Act (that I have intimate knowledge of through my work) was passed the first thing I thought of was Nazism. Seriously. I am not trying to be a "Flamer" here, nor do I take the Holocaust lightly. But if you really read about The Third Reich and do your research (I recommend starting with "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich") you will see the similarities I am seeing. But beyond that, as if that weren't bad enough, I am starting to feel like GW Bush sees himself as a modern-day Messiah. He's acting like he's God. And that ain't cool. Mostly because not everyone in America believes in the same God he does. But also because he needs to let this superiority complex go. It annoys me that I work with Religious Zealots, no matter what religion they are spouting off about. It scares me that the leader of America, who has almost final say in all new laws, who is in charge of making appointments to high-power positions in government, is a Religious Zealot. I mean it, it scares the hell out of me that he is basically pushing for a national religion a la England back in the 1700s. Hmm...1700s...England...American Revolution anyone? Let us not forget that one of the reasons we overthrew England and began to govern ourselves was so that we could have Freedom of Religion. Many people seem to be overlooking that simple fact. We didn't start the Revolution so that we could then found a country with a different national religion, we started it so that there WAS no national religion. And to make laws that are in keeping with any one religion, regardless of popular opinion or the secular interpretation, is in VIOLATION of the principles that this Nation was founded upon. No matter what spin the President's spin doctors put on it, the fact stands as above. And when we start doing things like overturning Roe V. Wade on "moral" grounds and making same-sex marriages illegal on "moral" grounds we get further and further away from the principles this Country was founded upon and closer to becomming like 1700s England.

I'm all for morals, don't get me wrong. But the thing is, Conservatives are using the word "Moral" in place of "Religious" or "Christian." Granted religion in large part is responsible for creating morals. But in the two examples above, you can clearly see that the objections center around the Christian Right-Wing beliefs of what is right and what is wrong. It saddens me to think that so much of this Country is more interested in pushing God and Christianity as "The only way to believe" than actually stopping to think about what is truly right and wrong. Is it right to tell two people who are committed to one another and truly in love with one another that they cannot put their love in writing and receive the benefits that love gives to other couples? Is it right to tell a young rape victim that the unwanted, unplanned fetus growing within her is a living being and must be kept until birth?

I leave you with this (or perhaps these) final thought(s). So-called right to life advocates, some of them anyway, see no problem with the bombing of abortion clinics, no matter how many people lose their lives. Some right to lifers also favor the death penalty. And let us not forget how many wars have been faught in the name of God and how many people suffered and died in the face of one man's interpretation of the Bible. If these people want to save the lives of fetuses, should they not also want to save and protect the lives of their fellow men?